This Sunday, September 9th is Granparent's Day! Ahh-sweet Grandparents. My grandparents' house is my absolute favorite place to be. MY FAVORITE. More than anywhere I've ever visited in the world. Those 2 small South Texas towns have my heart :)
Does your school celebrate Grandparent's Day? The schools I have worked for always do a little something. And with Baby Boomers getting to the 'Grandparent Age'--we are bound to have tons of these special loved ones.
Here are some ideas to celebrate this Friday:
* Invite grandparents to come have lunch with their grandkids
* During the last 30 minutes of school, have an afternoon 'Poppin Party' with popsicles or popcorn
* Invite grandparents to be guest readers throughout the day
* Ask grandparents to record themselves reading stories (picture books) and put these at a listening station
* Ask grandparents to share their favorite thing about their grandchild in their class. Read these appreciations throughout the year.
* Incorporate one of these read-alouds during Literacy time:
--my new favorite: How to Babysit a Grandpa by Jean Reagan and Lee Wildish
--Grandmas are for Giving Tickles by Harriet Ziefert and Jennifer Plecas
--Grandpas are for Finding Worms by Harriet Ziefert and Jennifer Plecas
--What Grandmas Do Best by Laura Joffe Numeroff
--Little Critter: Grandma, Grandpa, and Me by Mercer Mayer
--Just Grandpa and Me by Mercer Mayer
--Just Grandma and Me by Mercer Mayer
Last but not least, complete one of these fun FREE printables or sing a song from The Book Princess:
2. Jessica Travis
3. Cooperative Learning 365
4. Wendy Smith
5. The Book Princess
Do you celebrate Grandparent's Day? Do you have any other ideas? Please feel free to pin or share on facebook!
*Cheers* See you on Thursday, April